The Mayor from Fagaras-Brasov County invites you to visit the “Fagaras Country Museum”
Făgăraş Country Museum “Valer Literat” is the museum of a large historical and ethnographic area, of a wealth of documents and testimonies about the inhabitants of Făgăraş Country.
It was founded in 1923 based on the ethnographic collection of Professor Valeriu Literat (1885-1972), representative leader of the cultural life in the city of Făgăraş, from the interwar period. At the beginning, the museum from Făgăraş functioned under the aegis of “ASTRA” and in the custody of the collector, until 1951, when it was assigned a stable headquarters and received the status of state institution. In 1973 the city museum merged with the museum section, which had been founded, since 1968, in the Făgăraş Fortress and affiliated, for a while, to the Brukenthal Museum in Sibiu. from 2004 until now it is called the Museum of the Country of Făgăraş “Valer Literat”.
The prestigious institution of Făgăraş culture, the Museum of the Făgăraş Country “Valer Literat” has been enriched in time with valuable objects. The museum carries out a continuous activity of historical and ethnographic research of the area, of enrichment, conservation and scientific capitalization of the collected heritage on the territory of Făgăraş Country. Mixed profile (history, ethnography and art), Făgăraş Country Museum “Valerul Literat” or a wide variety of collections, such as: archeology, weapons, numismatics, tiles, Romanian book, documents, lapidarium, glaze, decorative and plastic art, folk pottery, folk costume, fabrics, customs, glass icons, decorated eggs, the art of wood, wood-bone-iron, crafts, etc.
The basic exhibition represents the evolution of the civilization of Făgăraş Country in a property of significant documents and events. Depending on the content of its heritage, the basic exhibition of the museum was structured in three sections:
– History of Făgăraş Country: archeology, medieval era, modern era and weapons (in Donjon Tower);
– Ethnography of the Olt Country: ceramics, fabrics, folk costume, peasant interior, icons, etc.
– Virgil Fulicea Sculpture Gallery (1907-1979), located in the Diet Hall. The dimensions and importance of the museum’s collections presuppose its expansion in the future.
Medium history room
The land of Faragaras, one of the largest and richest feudal domains of Transylvania, was between 1368-1464, in the possession of the lords of Wallachia, as a fief granted by the Hungarian kings. when it will become the property of the Habsburg crown. The exhibition of medieval history of Făgăraş County tries to illustrate the main events of the period and the most representative monuments in the area: the fortress of Breaza, the Saxon fortified churches, the Cistercian monastery from Carta and the Brânc foundations.
Modern history room
The modern history hall of the Făgăraş Country Museum “Valer Literat” captures the most important moments of Romania’s history, with zonal application (Revolution of 1848/49, Romanian Independence – 1877/78, World War I – 1916/18, Great Union – 1 Dec. 1918), but also aspects related to culture, school and struggle for national unity of the Romanians from Făgăraş. An important segment is the history of local guilds, mostly Romanian, with a long evolution (1597-1872), but also with special repercussions on the economic, social, political, cultural and religious aspects of this distinct land – Tara Făgăraşului.
The ceramics hall presents the craft and ceramic art from the center and south-east of Transylvania, whose products circulated in the Făgăraş County area. There are pieces made in Saxon centers (Sibiu, Drauseni, Nemsa, Carta, etc.), Hungarian and Szekler (Ocna Sibiului, Turda, etc.) and Romanian (Noul Roman, Făgăraş). Port room. Peasant interior
The second ethnography room includes besides the textiles and the Saxon, Hungarian and Romanian port in the area and a peasant interior from the village of Drăguş whose main characteristic is the harmony between volume (given by furniture) and color (date of textiles).
Religious art hall
The religious art hall (peasant and cult) presents valuable icons on glass, especially from the centers of Făgăraş, paintings on canvas, the royal doors of the Evangelical Altar in Cincsor, books, hand crosses, etc.
In the weapons room of the museum are exhibited pieces as representative as possible to illustrate the evolution of military equipment between the XIII-XIX centuries, grouped into 2 categories: white weapons (offensive and defensive) and firearms
“Virgil Fulicea” sculpture gallery
The “Virgil Fulicea” sculpture gallery highlights the most important works of the donation made by this special contemporary artist from Făgăraş. Regardless of the material used – plaster, patinated plaster, bronze, alabaster, etc., all these pieces denote the artist’s mastery, elaborate work and personal style that have characterized him throughout his career.
FAGARAS CITY HALL
Phone: +40 368 404287